We deliver the possibilities of data. YOU define what’s possible.
The Sales Engineering Manager is a player / coach role where the individual is expected to be an expert in object based storage.. The individual will contribute to named account strategy as well as drive the execution directly and indirectly. Success will rely upon the individual’s ability to build and maintain a team of highly-talented Sales Engineers. Strong relationships with Sales Leadership, Account Executives, and customer stakeholders are critical. The role will require frequent travel and occasional visits to the corporate HQ in San Jose, CA.
HGST, a Western Digital company, is a market leader in enterprise hard disk drives and develops advanced hard disk drives, enterprise-class solid state drives, and external storage solutions and services that are used by large and sophisticated technology companies to store, preserve and manage data. HGST storage solutions have a reputation for quality, reliability and innovation. Our drives and systems are trusted by the world’s high-transactional enterprises, Internet services companies, creative professionals, and consumer electronics and automotive system manufacturers to store the avalanche of new content resulting from cloud computing and services, virtualization, social networks, HD video, and mobile platforms.
The company employs more than 45 thousand people throughout the world. We have manufacturing locations in the US, Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia, and China. Development laboratories are located in San Jose, CA and Rochester, MN, USA; and in Odawara and Fujisawa, Japan. Our sales and technical support offices are strategically located throughout Europe, Asia, and North America. We have recently acquired three new organizations in support of our Enterprise SSD business.
- Manage all aspects of people management, including hiring, development, training, regular 1:1s and periodic performance reviews.
- Build a strong team and provide satisfaction among internal and external customers.
- Provide storage solution thought leadership to key customers.
- Participate in identifying the priorities, requirements and criteria of their initiatives, and the links between the executive, operational and infrastructure stakeholders for that initiative.
- Map customer business problems to technical solutions and ensure that solutions are targeted to accelerate the top customer’s business objectives.
- Own the overall solution architecture, and coordinate the architecture and execution with others (e.g., other architects, practice specialists, partners and customers).
- Qualify, manage and monitor customer evaluations and proof-of-concept (POC) tests from start to completion.
- Develop and execute benchmarks and/or tests that simulate customer application situations and develop presentations and white papers.
- Engage with OEMs, SI, and VAR partners to ensure HGST’s capabilities and reach are amplified.
- Keep management teams informed of key technology directional shifts and long-term opportunities.
- Represent HGST at Tech Events, Customer Forums, Executive Briefing Visits, etc.
- Maintain accurate and updated reporting of all activities.
- Deep knowledge of traditional enterprise storage systems (DAS, SAN and NAS) and their deployment in various application environments
- Existing knowledge of Object Based Storage preferred
- Basic Linux shell scripting
- Experience running benchmarks and interpreting results
- Familiarity with the S3 API and S3-compliant applications and systems, (AWS CLI, s3cmd, cloud gateways, ILM solutions and backup)
- Proficient in translating business needs into complex solutions, including researching and identifying new technologies or technologies outside of HGST products and solutions, architecting and designing the solution, and managing multiple internal, cross business unit, and external resources and technologies to complete the proposed solution.
- Engineering degree or equivalent, 10 years of experience in storage solutions and storage management.
- Track record of excellence in pre-sales technical sales, solution design and implementation.
- Exceptional negotiation, presentation, and listening skills, including credibility and business maturity to provide high quality input to senior management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Willing to participate as a creative thinking, self-motivated team member in a high energy startup-like culture under the pressure of change and moving targets.
ABOUT WESTERN DIGITAL
Western Digital Corporation is the world’s largest data storage company with a leading portfolio of HGST, SanDisk, G-Technology and WD brands covering flash and disk-based solutions. Deployed by the largest and most prominent organizations worldwide, Western Digital solutions are everywhere, touching lives and enabling great value from the data they possess.
Western Digital is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. Western Digital does not unlawfully discriminate and complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law poster: Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law