We deliver the possibilities of data. YOU define what’s possible.
Do you have a passion working on leading edge technology? Are you passionate about working closely with next generation enterprise SSDs? Are you a fast learner and enjoy synthesizing knowledge in to practice?
Western Digital is a leader in the design of world class enterprise class SSD products. We are looking for a strong System Design Engineer to work on next generation enterprise SSD Development Platforms. The candidate must be a highly motivated self-starter who will thrive in this dynamic, cutting-edge environment. A fundamental part of our strategy is having desirable and powerful Development Platform that enable Engineering teams to deliver products at fast pace. Creating these platforms involves a close partnership between Hardware team, Firmware engineers, ASIC designers, and Program team. We are currently building the next generation and we need you!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- You are responsible for providing technical leadership in all facets of System development, from microarchitecture through sustenance.
- You will work with architects and system engineers to define requirements and the microarchitecture for complex FPGA systems running SSD controller functionality.
- You will implement or provide leadership to an implementation team whose tasks will include writing specifications, understanding ASIC SoC, partitioning the design, creating custom IPs for FPGA systems, making RTL changes to map the design into FPGA system and bringing up these systems using system tools.
- You will also participate in documentation and defining and implementing process for various stages of the development.
- Understand controller architecture and propose design partitioning to fit within FPGA system's available resources
- Define FPGA delivery milestones and conduct review meeting with wider teams for FPGA platform deliveries
- define interfaces for FPGA partitioning, customize NoCs, design FPGA friendly system clocking and reset scheme based on controller specification
- Must be hands-on when it comes to RTL Coding, creating or customizing IP designs
- Must be able to distribute work to team members and set reasonable expectation for QoR and timely delivery
- Defining FPGA IO interface, IO constraints, FPGA timing optimization, logic optimization
- Defining streamlined FPGA build flow with nightly builds
- Conduct and review different parts of the design including system level design
- Ability to communicate effectively with other groups such as Architecture group, ASIC design, FPGA HW design group, Firmware team, program management.
- Motivated and self-driven. A Team player is a must
- Must be able to read hardware schematic design
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Visio is required.
- Bachelor's/Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related technical degree is required.
- Minimum 12 years’ experience in RTL design and System design
- Must have experience designing high density FPGAs, fundamental knowledge of FPGA internal architecture, FPGA IO Design, understanding device utilization and Vendor IP selection for FPGAs
- Experience with RTL Simulation tools, Synplify Premier, Identify debugger, Xilinx Vivado, Xilinx ILA, ARM ICE debuggers
- Must have hands-on experience in prototype bring-up and debugging, functional verification
- Experience in small embedded systems, and basic processor and DRAM bringup
- Experience creating and testing Application specific Zynq or Arria FPGA system
- Experience working with FPGA development platforms is a definite plus
- Practical experience in hardware debug - use of test equipment (Oscilloscope, Logic Analyzer, Chipscope etc.).
- Basic software development experience using C and/or Linux (Perl/Shell scripting) is a plus
ABOUT WESTERN DIGITAL
Western Digital Corporation is the world’s largest data storage company with a leading portfolio of HGST, SanDisk, G-Technology and WD brands covering flash and disk-based solutions. Deployed by the largest and most prominent organizations worldwide, Western Digital solutions are everywhere, touching lives and enabling great value from the data they possess.
Western Digital is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. Western Digital does not unlawfully discriminate and complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law poster: Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law