Principal Engineer, Firmware Engineering
Location: Chubei, Taiwan
Req ID: JR-0000039651
Working as part of the SOC & HW platform firmware engineer, you will creates and maintains the diagnostic, verification and HAL firmware running on various platforms for solid state memory systems. Key aspects of the prototype platform will be their performance and ease of use by multiple engineering functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Design, write, debug, and integrate the high-performance SoC with firmware code across the SATA, SAS and PCIe/NVMe storage interface system.
· Develop and verification the firmware on the virtual platform, RTL simulation, emulation platform and ASIC AVB platform. Compete the HAL firmware to validate the various platform components
· Involve in performing evaluating, designing, and building HAL code for high-performance solid-state system that will have the optimized hardware configuration setting, reduce power or latency and SoC complexity for the target markets.
· Interacting with ASIC group, hardware group, product verification group, product firmware group, HSI group and various other cross-functional teams.
· Work with emulation platform hardware design engineer to complete the prototyping platforms that provide significant value to the overall SSD development process
· The successful candidate will have an Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Math, or Physics (or a Masters in Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Math, or Physics). 3 or more years of experience working with embedded firmware, experience developing (design, implementation, debug) of code.
· Expert level in C programming.
· Two or more years experience with storage systems.
· Three years or more embedded firmware experience; including debugging using JTAG-based debuggers.
· Understanding of RISC microprocessors; including interrupts scheduling and optimization. Prior product development experience with at least two embedded microprocessors such as PowerPC, ARC, ARM, Tensillica, or equivalent.
· Solid knowledge in and practical experience with boot-loader and bring-up firmware architecture for RISC based platform.
· Demonstrated experience developing software using structured methodologies, including but not limited to: requirements analysis and capture, design documentation, source code management tools, and defect tracking tools.
· Good communication skills and ability to succinctly describe and summarize highly technical firmware and/or system challenges.
· Strong engineering aptitude for electronic/electrical systems, including ability to understand schematics as necessary for software/hardware integration.
· Experience in storage systems and SSD
· Knowledge of memory controllers and memory systems (DDR3/4)
· Experience with Toggle or ONFI Flash memory technology
· Solid skills with one or more scripting language such as Perl or Python.
· Working knowledge of digital hardware design. Knowledge of Verilog a plus
· Perform failure analysis by using storage interface bus analyzer and digital scope, identifying the issues, duplicating the problems, and resolving the issues with corrective actions
· Teamwork, good communication skills and openness.
· Demonstrated problem solving skills coupled with attention to detail and enthusiasm for a right first time approach.
· ability to read, write and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and emails in English. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to internal customers and other employees of the organization.
ABOUT WESTERN DIGITAL
Western Digital Corporation is the world’s largest data storage company with a leading portfolio of HGST, SanDisk, G-Technology and WD brands covering flash and disk-based solutions. Deployed by the largest and most prominent organizations worldwide, Western Digital solutions are everywhere, touching lives and enabling great value from the data they possess.