WD is seeking a motivated Staff-level System Engineer who will be responsible for internal and external customer deployments and projects. This individual will interface with these customers and support them by developing solutions to complex storage problems, including storage hardware, system administration, application and networking issues and concerns.
In this role the System Engineer will oversee the transition of new products from development into the field, and provide guidelines for implementing WD storage systems to customers or installation teams. This individual will elicit customer needs and collaborate with design engineers on product requirements with the goal of enhancing reliability, usability, stability and maintainability of the WD line of storage products.
In addition, under limited supervision the System Engineer will provide technical direction and expertise by performing initial troubleshooting and remediation of field issues, by duplicating customer problems and concerns in a lab environment, then by driving necessary system design changes, fixes and design specifications as required.
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 10 plus years of related experience
- “Go-to” expert on SAS, SATA and SES storage protocols
- Proven expertise in SAS storage architecture, topologies and the device types which make up a SAS storage subsystem, including HBAs, expanders and disk drives.
- Thorough understanding of the latest I/O technologies including 12 Gb/s SAS, High speed Ethernet and PCIe fabrics.
- Documented experience in supporting enterprise storage products, including customer problem resolution, failure analysis and root cause analysis
- Direct experience with 6 and 12 Gb/s SAS analysis equipment and with SAS/SATA trace analysis
- Strong organizational, collaborative and communication skills
- Proven ability to present technical information, both oral and written, including creating and reviewing written engineering documentation
- Works well individually and in a team environment
- Ability to work well under pressure and time constraints