We deliver the possibilities of data. You define what’s possible.
The power of data is undeniable. A world that’s more predictive, more productive and more personal enables smarter decisions, breakthrough discoveries and deeper connections. As a leading provider of data storage devices and solutions, Western Digital delivers the possibilities of data. Join the team, and define what’s possible.
We are seeking highly motivated students to be a part of our RAMP program. These paid summer internship opportunities are designed to jump start your career, offering on-the-job training and a robust summer of events. As a RAMP participant, you'll work alongside technology industry professionals on real-world projects, giving you the tools and experience to get your career off the ground. You get to work alongside the brightest minds in the industry to drive the innovation necessary to outpace new demands and challenges created by data. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of what data can do. Help unlock its full potential.
This intern will focus on developing accurate atomistic models for interfacial phase change materials (iPCM). Using ab-initio approaches, we will calculate the energetics and electronic structure of potential superlattice configurations and evaluate the phonon dispersion and electronic transport in the identified low and high resistance configurations. This theoretical work would also complement the potential WDC collaboration with Yale to fabricate iPCM materials using molecular beam epitaxy.
- Current student pursuing a PhD in Electrical Engineering, Material Science, Chemistry or Physics
- Background in materials science and/or solid state physics
- Knowledge of atomistic, ab-initio computational modeling techniques such as density functional theory. Experience using first principle codes such as VASP, Quantum Espresso, QuantumWise, etc.
- Experience with transport approaches (non-equilibrium Green’s function techniques, BoltzTrap) preferred
- Experience with other computational techniques, such as molecular dynamics, Monte Carlo, and/or finite element analysis, is a plus
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Strong research skills
- Excellent computer and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and motivational skills
- Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal abilities
- Strong work ethic
ABOUT WESTERN DIGITAL
Western Digital Corporation is the world’s largest data storage company with a leading portfolio of HGST, SanDisk, G-Technology and WD brands covering flash and disk-based solutions. Deployed by the largest and most prominent organizations worldwide, Western Digital solutions are everywhere, touching lives and enabling great value from the data they possess.
Western Digital is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. Western Digital does not unlawfully discriminate and complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law poster: Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law.
Western Digital participates in the E-Verify program in the US. For more information click here. Este empleador participa in E-Verify.