Western Digital’s High-Performance Computing environments are key to bringing new storage solutions to market. As a High-Performance Computing (HPC) systems engineer in the IT Infrastructure team, you will be at the heart of Western Digital’s engineering and product development process, delivering an IT HPC infrastructure that empowers engineering teams to develop new storage technologies and deliver high quality products to market quickly. The sheer diversity of Western Digital’s products (solid state solutions and hard disk drives for consumer and data center markets, S3 compatible data center archival systems and more) requires a variety of development applications and HPC computing solutions be available to engineering teams worldwide. Western Digital’s use of Cloud Computing is also a key capability for delivering HPC, Big Data computing and rapid scale deployments of optimized infrastructure solutions worldwide. This position will ensure Western Digital’s success by partnering with the worldwide IT and engineering teams to deliver the right scalable solutions and computing infrastructure for EDA applications, physics based modeling, CFD, CAE and FEA, representing the many engineering and development disciplines here at Western Digital. Our computing solutions are provided from a true hybrid enterprise IT environment, scaling from on premise clusters to large clusters in colocation data centers to hyper scale computing solutions (a.k.a the “Cloud”). We manage computing with both GPU and CPU based clusters and extend to thousands of processor cores to meet the many demands of our engineering teams.
What you’ll be doing:
Support multi-site, high performance compute infrastructure for the global engineering product development organization
Architect and deliver an analytics framework driving the optimization and efficiency of our key engineering infrastructure resources
Manage and optimize engineering GRID compute infrastructure
Support global EDA tools and license infrastructure Support Diverse Engineering Design Automation environment
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Minimum of seven years of experience in an engineering product development support role
- SME/Lead for UNIX/Linux operations worldwide
- In depth knowledge of engineering design flows and supporting EDA tools
- Experience with IBM Platform LSF, RTDA NC, Grid Engine or similar technologies
- Experience with license management (flexlm) and utilization reporting tools
- Experience with VDI solutions like Exceed OnDemand, ETX, Citrix, VNC, NX
- Expert knowledge scripting with perl, bash, csh, and python
- Experience with Configuration management and automation tools like Ansible, Salt, Chef, Puppet
- Experience in delivering common engineering development environment through the use of software abstraction techniques
- Experience supporting different flavors of Linux in an engineering product development environment
- Experience with source / version control systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to communicate IT concepts to technical and nontechnical audiences.
- Must be a critical thinker with strong problem-solving skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, drive engineering process optimization, able to manage multiple projects under strict timelines, work well in a demanding dynamic environment and meet overall objectives.
- High degree of initiative, dependability and ability to work with little supervision
Ways to stand out:
Previous experience at the large-scale data center; +1000 nodes
Deploying and supporting HPC in the cloud