We deliver the possibilities of data. You define what’s possible.
The power of data is undeniable. A world that’s more predictive, more productive and more personal enables smarter decisions, breakthrough discoveries and deeper connections. As a leading provider of data storage devices and solutions, Western Digital delivers the possibilities of data. Join the team, and define what’s possible.
Western Digital’s System Integration Laboratory located in Rochester, MN is seeking computer engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science students. We have multiple full-time paid co-op/internship opportunities available for our 2017 January-August session, with exact dates flexible based on school schedules. Students work as part of a global engineering team responsible for the integration of Western Digital products, including hard disk drives, solid-state drives, and software, into our customers' environments, mentored and guided by experienced Western Digital engineers.
Our group in particular debugs and validates electrical and logical protocol compatibility between our products and computer systems from our customers, creates customer-facing software tools to manage and debug Western Digital products, and provides internal software infrastructure for our laboratory. Students are responsible for assisting Western Digital engineers in executing measurements, documenting measurement results, isolating and debugging product compatibility problems, and developing software.
- Qualified candidates should be of at least sophomore standing pursuing a BS or graduate degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science from an accredited university.
- Professional English business communication competency, both verbal and written, is required, as is competency with basic office technology (general PC use, email, spreadsheets, etc.).
- Interest in extensive hands-on computer and laboratory equipment use is expected.
- All qualified candidates should possess, or be comfortable learning via self-education, rudimentary programming and scripting (Perl, Tcl/Tk, Java, etc.) skills.
- Candidates interested in the more software-oriented roles available under this job description are expected to enjoy programming and to bring demonstrable fluency & experience in one or more programming languages.
- Prior experience in disk drive technology or data storage interfaces is desirable but not required for these positions